Sunday, September 05, 2004

PICKLES

PICKLES

My Mama made bread ‘n butter pickles just like her Mother did and her Mother before her. Before she died, my Mama carefully wrote out her recipe for bread ‘n butter pickles for me, so the tradition would continue. There’s one little problem. I don’t like bread ‘n butter pickles. I’m not much of a fan of any kind of pickles. But breaking the line of pickle-makers seems somehow sacrilegious or, at the least, uncaring.

Recently I’ve been giving some thought to producing a little cookbook that I could maybe give as Christmas presents to the family. I would include Mama’s bread ‘n butter pickle recipe in that, along with her version of banana pudding and Tollhouse cookies, both of which I do make and do love. Maybe that will do the trick. And then the curse of the bread ‘n butter pickles will be lifted, at least until I face Mama in Eternity, and she asks, as I know she will, “Well, did you make the bread ‘n butter pickles? Weren’t they great?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home