Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Smith Brothers Cough Drops

Smith Brothers Cough Drops

Smith Brothers Cough Drops, Wild Cherry flavored. I always bought them when I had a cold or sore throat. My mother preferred that I use Luden’s cough drops, but they tasted medicin-y, and so when I got old enough to buy my own cough drops with my babysitting money, I went for the candy-flavored Smith Brothers. My mother wasn’t convinced that anything that tasted good would possibly have medicinal value, but she mostly kept that opinion to herself since I wasn’t spending her money. Maybe she was right, though, because the other kids at school were always wanting to bum a Smith Brothers cough drop and no one ever asked for a Luden’s. So my brand-new box that I’d bring to homeroom would be gone by sixth period and I would have only used two.

I don’t see kids sucking on cough drops any more. They still sell cough drops in drugstores, but I think it’s only we 60-somethings who buy them. Cough drops can’t compare with the intense flavors of the new brands of candy—Skittles, and Mike & Ikes, and Jolly Ranchers.

I think I feel a Smith Brothers sore throat coming on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home