Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dog

Peggy’s prompt for Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 “dog” 20 minutes

Wow, what an open-ended prompt. Dog(s) I have known. A special dog. Dogs: pros and cons. To dog (someone). Dog days. Doggone it. The Dog Star. Raining cats and dogs. Dog stories. Dog shows. Dog park. Simone/Ruffy/Sam/Soc. Fear of dogs. Overcoming fear of dogs. Raising shi t’zu’s (sp?) My mind hasn’t seized on anything yet. How ‘bout a fictional dog? Lassie, Rin Tin Tin. My own creation……

He wasn’t much to look at, my dog Spade. I called him Spade for no good reason. He didn’t look like a spade, he didn’t dig like a spade, he sure didn’t have Sam Spade’s detective ability. What he did do was jump, or really, leap. No fence was too tall for his long lanky body to hurtle over. His gawky legs would sometimes get caught on the top, but by furious squirming, kicking, and throwing in a little barking he could always make it over.

My mother wasn’t happy at all when I showed up with Spade. How’d you get to keep a dog at college, she asked suspiciously. Well, we sorta hid him most of the time, I offered back, hoping not to have to elaborate. You’ve got a fence, Mom, it’ll be fine. He can stay outside, I said. If only, I thought.

Within the first 30 seconds of being let off his leash, Spade was attacking the fence. He’d approach the fence with his nose down, sniffing, and when he found a spot that smelled just right he’d stop, lower his long black and tan body close to the ground, and suddenly spring straight up about two feet, not really trying to go over the fence. More like testing the height of his jump. Then, with Mom and me both watching, he trotted across the yard to the edge of the house, turned and picked up speed as he approached the fence. Then, just before smashing his big nose into the wire grid, he leaped up and sailed over the fence, plenty of room to spare.

Spade, I yelled. Oh no, Mom yelled. Spade stopped in his tracks about 10 feet on the other side of the fence and turned to face us. I swear he was grinning. Then he raced back about 30 feet and proceeded to repeat the same sequence, leaping back inside the yard.

Dang, I guess he won’t stay in the yard, I said. We could maybe charge admission, Mom allowed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home