Monday, October 10, 2005

Pete’s Pond

Pete’s Pond

The mama elephant stands at the pond’s edge, sucks up water in her vacuum cleaner hose-nose, then flings the water over the baby standing next to her. Over and over she repeats—suck, fling, suck, fling. Finally, the baby dips its nose into the water, sucks up a trunk full, and flings the water over its back. Lesson completed.

This little scene, hypnotizing to watch, is just one of the fabulous encounters you can have with African wildlife, courtesy of a National Geographic Society website. Go to http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/wildcamafrica/wildcam.html and you’ll be transported to “Pete’s Pond.” Pete’s Pond is in Botswana, and luckily for Internet users, has been outfitted with camera, microphone, satellite hook-up and whatever else it takes for round-the-clock viewing of one special spot in the African wild. Volunteers man the camera during most of the daylight (in Africa) hours, and the camera works remotely at night. (Just remember that Botswana time is six hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.) The camera pans, tilts, and zooms in on elephants, zebras, warthogs, guinea fowl, lions, elands, kudus, birds of all kinds and much more, including a crocodile named “Fatty.” The anthropomorphic names are given to certain distinctive animals by the viewing devotees who make postings to the blog on the website.

In addition to the usual chit-chat, bloggers also ask and receive answers to technical questions about the equipment, about the wildlife they are viewing, and about the volunteers and the Pete’s Pond program. Some have posted photographs of the animals at their own websites. The excitement and appreciation of the viewers comes through by even a casual perusal of the postings. Some claim that they aren’t getting enough sleep any more because they stay up to watch the animals come to the water hole in early morning!

Treat yourself. Go. Watch. Enjoy.

12 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You, having searched the web extensively and desperately seeking any information I can find on swiss replica watch, it's a delight to find some quality information. Great Blog. http://iluxco.com

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwendie,

Stumbled across your blog when doing research on love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi. Thanks for the read! :)

Me. -- !These love spells that really work got my love back!

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwendie,

Stumbled across your blog when doing research on love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi. Thanks for the read! :)

Me. -- !These bring back love spells got my love back!

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Managing Time requiries skills %%desc%% also mean that you %%desc%% learn new skills.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwendie,

Stumbled across your blog when doing research on love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi. Thanks for the read! :)

Me. -- !These love spells and chants got my love back!

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwendie, Out surfing for information on art of seduction & happened upon your site. While Pete’s Pond wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gwendie,

Found your blog today and spent some time reading through it. Good stuff, thanks! I'm thinking of doing one for my easy love spells site, but not sure I have the time to do it right. Yours looks so good though, I might!

Take care!

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Gwendie, I had been out looking for some new information on attract girls when I found your site and Pete’s Pond. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey "Gwendie", just found your site on a search for love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi and thanks! :)

Me. -- "I tried these free powerful love spells and got my boyfriend back!"

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gwendie,

Found your blog today and spent some time reading through it. Good stuff, thanks! I'm thinking of doing one for my psychic love spells site, but not sure I have the time to do it right. Yours looks so good though, I might!

Take care!

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gwendie,

Stumbled across your blog when doing research on love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi. Thanks for the read! :)

Me. -- !These simple love spells got my love back!

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey "Gwendie", just found your site on a search for love spells. Read a few posts, so thought I'd say hi and thanks! :)

Me. -- "I tried these free love spells and got my boyfriend back!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home